Sunday, February 28, 2010

In My Mailbox (2.28.10)

In My Mailbox is hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren.

This week I felt the effects of my library request-a-thon from last weekend - now I'm hoping I can read everything before they're all due back! I've decided to start including links to goodreads so you can get a better idea of what these books are about by clicking on the covers - let me know if you like it!

Here's what I got from the library:

  • Mr Fitzwilliam Darcy:  The Last Man in the World by Abigail Reynolds:  I'd been wanting to read this one for a while, so when my requested copy finally came in, I immediately started reading it, and finished it within only a few hours! Review coming soon
  • The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood:  I've been seeing a lot of reviews of Atwood's newer books lately and I felt like it was time to pick up something else by her (the last thing I'd read was The Handmaid's Tale, years ad years ago), so when I saw this one it sounded like something I would like. It also comes recommended by Paula Butterini, author of Keeping the Feast, via Rosie's Riveters which is hosted by Aarti at Booklust.
  • The Arrival by Shaun Tan:  I saw this book reviewed on a couple of blogs a while ago and it sounded really good, so I decided to give it a try. This is my first-ever try with a graphic novel book (if this can even be called that - there are no words, just pictures), so we'll see how it goes!
  • Pioneer Woman Cooks by Ree Drummond:  I sometimes stalk Pioneer Woman's blog for recipes, so when I heard (from her blog, as it so happens) that she had published a cookbook, I knew I had to try it. This might not get reviewed for a few weeks - need to try out some of the recipes first! You can find Ree's blog here.
  • The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England:  A Handbook for Visitors to the Fourteenth Century by Ian Mortimer:  I requested this one after seeing a great review by Jen at Devourer of Books, and it sounds exactly like something I'd enjoy!
I also discovered bookmooch this week - and I've already mooched my first book. Yay!

Revolutionary Road
  • Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates:  Book Snob has been reading her way through Yates' works lately, so I decided I needed to read something by him. I chose Revolutionary Road because I've already seen the movie, so it's fitting that I should read the book it was based on.

18 comments:

  1. Great books this week. Mr Fitzwilliam Darcy: The Last Man in the World sounds great, I just ove the sound of it. Also Revolutionary road wow, I heard so many great things about the book that I already orderd my copy! :)
    Enjoy the books you got!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You picked up some great books! I really do want to read one of Shaun Tan's books, so that one really appeals to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great mailbox! I love the covers on the first two. I haven't read Atwood yet. And I want to read Revolutionary Road also. I need to watch the film after, I love Leo.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great new books! I loved Revolutionary Road, even though it is very dark.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Margaret Atwood! I just picked up Cat's Eye yesterday. I'm curious to know if The Penelopiad is good - I'll be watching for your review!

    Emidy
    Une Parole

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice books. The Time Traveler's Guide looks really fascinating! I look forward to reading your review Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy. Any book devoted to him would likely be an enjoyable read. (Of course Colonel Brandon is still my favorite). I hope you enjoy all your books.

    Here is what's in my mailbox.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sound great-I am envious_ I want to get PW. Cooks, The Time Travelers Guide-is something I would enjoy. Shame on me as a Canadian that I have never read an Atwood novel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting books! I hope you enjoy them all. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh I love the Atwood title. I'm going to have to look that one up. Happy reading! My mailbox is at The Crowded Leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh looks you received great books. I hope you enjoy them! Looking forward to your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really liked Revolutionary Road, but haven't seen the movie yet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool books! I just got The Penelopiad at a bookswap so I have that on my TBR pile as well. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England: A Handbook for Visitors to the Fourteenth Century looks good. I will be looking forward to your review :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been wanting to read the Darcy one too. Waiting for your reviews on these...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I guess books from the library always come together. LOL! Nice bunch of books you got! I hope you read them before the due date!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm reading Revolutionary Road right now. It's the second book I've read in February that had a Frank as one of the leads and both of them made me so angry!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like you made some good choices. I'm going to check out your Abigail Reynolds review in a sec. And I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the Atwood book.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete