Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Teaser Tuesday (2.16.10)

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!
Having taken advantage of my 3-day weekend to finish Nanny Returns and The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, I've now moved on to The Confessions of Noa Weber by Gail Hareven. I'm really enjoying the writing so far, for which I'm not sure whether to credit Gail Hareven, or her translator, Dalya Bilu. Here's my teaser - sorry it's on the long side this week!
Thirty-six steps of an external stairway led to the apartment on the second floor. I didn't count them then. Forget the prophecies of the heart:  No premonition told me that for the next twenty-nine years I would go up and down them about seventy thousand times, a few hundred of them with a baby carriage; no tingling of my toes hinted that I would wound my exposed big toe four times on the rusty can holding the sick jasmine bush that refused to die; that in certain moods I would decide to change the soil and plant a new bush there, and in others I would plan to drag it to the dumpster, and that I would never do either; I had no inkling that I was to see the top of the shaky iron banister covered with a strip of snow, and that its unsteadiness would would worry me from time to time, and that about this too, I would do nothing. (p29)

12 comments:

  1. Great teaser! Mine was over the 2 sentences too! Now I don't feel so bad anymore... It's tough to have a good teaser with just 2 sentences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great teaser! It might just be me, but I feel like a lot of well-translated books have a similiar tone/quality that I really enjoy. This sounds like a good one!

    I cheated a bit this week: my Teaser Tuesday is about a book coming out today that I haven't read yet, and can be found over at bookwanderer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great teaser a bit long, but good. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your review style, and as such we have an award for you!
    http://withagoodbook.com/2010/02/our-first-award

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the writing here! I am looking forward to your review of this novel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful teaser. I look forward to reading your review of this book.

    Here is my teaser for this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great teaser! I hope you're enjoying this book, it sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an awesome teaser! The writing style is fantastic. I must put this one on my wish list.

    Here's the link to mine:
    http://tweezlereads.blogspot.com/2010/02/teaser-tuesday_16.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great teaser. Looking forward to your review. 3 day weekends are always nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that's a very beautiful prose. Looks like an intense read! Enjoy !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. sounds like you got some good reading time in on your 3 day weekend.
    fantastic teaser! I like the writing.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Dana! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Looking forward to your review for this. Sounds like an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete