Monday, February 1, 2010

Wrapping up my first month of blogging!

Wow, January has really flown by, I can't believe it's been less than a month since I started this blog! Not only have I discovered many, many great blogs in the past month, I've also read more books this month than I had thought possible - I was aiming for 1 book per week but ended up reading almost twice that! Somehow being able to discuss my reading and finding out about great new books on everyone's blogs has really motivated me and I've managed to make reading a priority for once, which I'm really proud of. Thanks to everyone who's visited my fledgling blog and for welcoming me into the book blogging community!

Moving on to what I read this month... I think my favorite read this month is a toss up between Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier and The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran. I love DuMaurier's prose in Rebecca, but was completely engrossed by The Heretic Queen, making it hard to choose a favorite between the two!

Here are all the books I read this month, in chronological order:
  1. Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winifred Watson
  2. My Life in France by Julia Child
  3. Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier
  4. Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger
  5. Firmin by Sam Savage
  6. Dear John by Nicholas Sparks
  7. Roses by Leila Meacham
  8. The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran
  9. Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella (review to be posted later this week)
Overall,  a great month in terms of reading! All of the books I read this month were really enjoyable,  with the exception of Her Fearful Symmetry, which I wanted to throw across the room (but didn't, because it was a library book) when I finished.

This month I signed up for 5 challenges:  The Flashback Challenge, The Gilmore Girls Reading Challenge, The Memorable Memoir Challenge, War through the Generations: Vietnam War Challenge, and the Social Justice Challenge. So far, I've only managed to read one book for my challenges (My Life in France, for the Memorable Memoir Challenge), but it's only January... right? I also completed Bloggiesta, hosted by Maw Books, which came at the perfect time to really get things rolling on my blog!

In other news, three lovely bloggers have given me awards this month. I'm planning to post about each separately when I have time, but in the meantime a thousand thank you's to
And thanks to everyone who reads/comments at my blog... I've had so much fun blogging this past month, and am looking forward to more bloggy goodness in February!

8 comments:

  1. Wow! What a great first month! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you've had a great reading month. Nine books! I'm impressed. I've only managed 4 and a half.

    Rebecca is one of my absolute favourite novels.

    Isn't book blogging fun? It just gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a month! I have enjoyed your blog - keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your awards! I'm glad that you had a wonderful month so far. I look forward to reading more from you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've had a good month! Looking forward to your review on Twenties Girl, Rebecca is on my TBR pile and I also was really disappointed with HFS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've done some serious reading, way to go! I love your blog and visit whenever you've posted something new, so I'm glad you're enjoying blogging so far. Hope you read some more great books this month, too!

    Emidy
    from Une Parole

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are obviously a prolific reader! Excellent blog for those of us wanting to know what's worth reading - or not.

    Congrats on your awards. Well deserved, indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on a great first month! Impressed that you've managed to read 9 books. I only managed six this month, so better get busy!

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete