Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Turning into Rory Gilmore...

Going After CacciatoI finished Going After Cacciato by Tim O'Brien yesterday, and after reading that I've been having trouble figuring out what to read next. I absolutely loved Going After Cacciato, but I feel like I'm just not up for another heavy/"thinking" book right now. My brain is still all mushy from processing Going After Cacciato (in other words, it might be a few days before a review is up), and nothing on my shelf seems to quite fit the bill of a short, light, fun read. Sorry, I'll stop complaining, but I'm just curious, does anyone else ever feel the need to intersperse heavy or intense reads with lighter ones?

This is sort of related to another experience I had this weekend. Whenever I return library books I allow myself to request the same number that I just returned - trying to avoid checking out waaaaay more books than I can read and ending up having to return them all, which seems to happen on a regular basis because all of my requests always end up coming in at the same time! This weekend, however, I lost all self control. I couldn't seem to stop requesting books, even after I was well beyond my quota, and I justified it to myself by saying "But they're all different types of books... one's nonfiction, one's short stories, one's a cookbook, one's a graphic novel, there's not even any fiction on there... must go remedy that... " And of course, being the tv fanatic that I am, this immediately reminded me of a scene from Gilmore Girls where Rory has too many books to fit in her bag. If you haven't seen it (or even if you have), here's the youtube clip (crossing my fingers that this will work)...I hope you all enjoy it, I feel like this its really fitting for book lovers ;)

10 comments:

  1. I'm reading a long historical fiction novel right now (Island of the Swans) and I think I'm going to need some fluff reading after I'm finished. I know how you feel!

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great book, hope I get to read that one sometime as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After a heavy read I always need to tone it down a little. I usually turn to a cozy mystery... they're fun and humorous. Then, after a few cozies in a row, I feel like my brain is ready for something deeper. :)
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely feel the need to read something light between heavier books (and the other way around too). Love that Gilmore Girls clip :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! I can so relate! To both the Gilmore Girls clip AND to your dilemna with the heavy/light reading. Anytime I read something very heavy I must go to something very light, usually several somethings very light just to get my mind to wrap around all the heaviness I went through. Good luck finding just the right fluffy cloud to land on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you! After focusing a lot on a deep book, it's nice to let your mid relax with something fun and easy.

    Emidy
    Une Parole

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol! I've been like Rory for a looong time; I can justify checking out 20 books at once, not matter what logic dictates.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how I miss this show! I love that Rory has to take four different kinds of books for the bus and lunch. Just how long was her bus ride?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've read two Tim O'Brien books: The Things They Carried and July, July. I really enjoyed both of them. I haven't read this one though. He is a very interesting author. Heh! I do get what you mean about wanting to switch it up after reading a particular type of book. I hope you find the one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I always read something light in between heavy reads. Sometimes those heavier books can be draining.
    I always end up taking too many books out of the library :)
    And I miss Gilmore Girls! lol.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete