Sunday, March 7, 2010

In My Mailbox (3.7.10)

In My Mailbox is hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren.

Eurg, I think I may need to temporarily place a moratorium on library requests. I had five books come in this week, in addition to the five from last week! This may not seem like a lot to those amazing readers to read a book a day, but I'm lucky if I get through 2 or 3 books a week. I'm so excited about these though, so without further ado, here's what came in from the library this week:

Wench: A NovelNefertitiHotel on the Corner of Bitter and SweetWhat the World Will Look Like When All the Water Leaves UsDon Quixote (Penguin Classics)
  • Wench by Dolen Perkins-Valdez:  I've been intrigued by this one ever since I first heard about it, so I was so excited when my request finally came in! This one is due back in a week, so expect a review sometime soon!
  • Nefertiti by Michelle Moran:  I decided that, despite all the other reading I want to do, I simply could not wait any longer before picking something else up by Michelle Moran. I absolutely loved The Heretic Queen, so I have high expectations for this one!
  • Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford:  This is another one that I've heard nothing but good things about and was super ecstatic when I found out my library request had finally arrived. Can't wait!
  • What the World Will Look Like when All the Water Leaves Us by Laura Van Den Berg:  I've always had a patience problem when it comes to short story collections - I lose interest midway through because there's no overarching plot to keep me invested. However, lately I've been thinking I should give short stories another try, and when I heard about this one from Heather at Book Addiction it sounded too good to pass up!
  • Don Quixote by Cervantes:  I've always wanted to read this, and since it's on the list of books for the Gilmore Girls Reading Challenge I finally have an impetus to get through this 1000+ page monster. I have a feeling this is going to be a long-term project...
I also received Enlightened Sexism by Susan J. Douglass courtesy of Goodreads First Reads program:
Enlightened Sexism: The Seductive Message that Feminism's Work Is Done

Now here comes the dilemma... what to read first??

12 comments:

  1. Maybe read Wench first because it has to go back quicker? I have that book on my Kindle and Nefertiti and the Bitter and Sweet novel here at home. Have I read them? No of course not. But one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana...don't you hate when that happens, and I'm not sure about you, but new books can only go out for 2 weeks and no renewals if there are holds. It seems i always have 3 or more arrive withing a day or so of each other.

    I recently got Wench; it sounds so good. I also enjoyed Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nefertiti has been on my TBR list for a while. It sounds like such an interesting read.

    Don Quixote is a favorite. It's been many years since I read it but I have fond memories of it.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like they made Wench into a movie.

    You have definitely rocked the library this week! Happy reading :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. great books! Nefertiti and Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet are on my TBRs too!

    BTW - I have an award for you at my blog http://booksnyc.blogspot.com/2010/03/sunday-salon-february-in-rearview.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will absolutely LOVE Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. Also, just for you to know, Jamie Ford has a Q&A in Goodreads. I met him at the Miami Book Fair last November and he was awesome...Great read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope that you will enjoy your books. Here's mine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have my eye on Wench... I have Hotels on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, hoping to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. great books Dana, I have Nefertiti on my TBR.
    happy reading :)
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. All those books are in my TBR! Wench esp, I am very interested in! Looking fwd to what you think! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Waiting for your reviews. I've read Nefertiti but none of the others. Wench is widespread over the book blogosphere. I do hope you enjoy your reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely loved Nefertiti and really enjoyed Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. I'm looking forward to your reviews!

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete