Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Teaser Tuesday (3.9.10)

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!
What the World Will Look Like When All the Water Leaves UsThis week's teaser comes from what the world will look like when all the water leaves us, a collection of short stories by Laura van den Berg. I can't remember the last time I read a book of short stories, but the two I've read so far in this book have both been really powerful, so I'm looking forward to reading the rest. Here's my teaser - I actually stuck to two sentences this week, yay!
Since then, he'd come to believe in magic, in making the unknowable knowable. I viewed him with equal doses of fear and admiration. (p43)
For some reason, the phrase making the unknowable knowable appeals to me... I keep rolling over the words in my mind.

    19 comments:

    1. Oo I like that too. Unknowable knowable-sounds so catchy. Great teaser!

      ReplyDelete
    2. That's a beautiful teaser. I've really been enjoying short stories lately, too.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Is this fiction or non fiction? the teaser really drew me in.

      ReplyDelete
    4. I like it! I know nothing about this book, so it makes me wonder if the magic is actually real, or if it's more of a young child believing in imaginary things...

      My teaser this week is also from a collection of stories--you can read it at bookwanderer.

      ReplyDelete
    5. I like it! Can't wait hear what you think of the book when you're done. My Teaser is here!

      ReplyDelete
    6. interesting teaser. Enjoy your book! Here's Mine

      ReplyDelete
    7. Such a beautiful teaser! Good one. My TT for the week is here.

      ReplyDelete
    8. Short stories don't usually appeal to me as much as a regular novel but this does sound interesting. Have a good week and happy reading. My teaser is here

      ReplyDelete
    9. Great teaser! I love short stories so I'll have to chech this book out!

      ReplyDelete
    10. Great choice! Very mysterious.

      ReplyDelete
    11. Oooh, I've been wanting to read this! Great teaser :)

      ReplyDelete
    12. Very nice! I love the title of this one. I've never read a collection of short stories that I can think of right now. I need to, though!

      Emidy
      from Une Parole

      ReplyDelete
    13. I love the title and the teaser- very lyrical!

      ReplyDelete
    14. Great teaser, I'm curious about what is happening. I'll be looking forward to your review.

      ReplyDelete
    15. That's a nice teaser! I like the conflict in the sentence!

      ReplyDelete
    16. Umm... by the way.. I should have told this last week, but one thing came up then another, uff! You have an award at my blog! :)

      ReplyDelete