Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Teaser Tuesday (3.23.10)

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!
Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly (updated edition)I am currently reading Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain. This book is really interesting and so far, and I'm enjoying Bourdain's style of writing. Here's my teaser:
Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter faction, the vegans, are a persistent irritant to any chef worth a damn. To me, life without veal stock, pork fat, sausage, organ meat, demi-glace or even stinky cheese is a life not worth living. Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, an affront to all I stand for, the pure enjoyment of food. (p70)
Kind of harsh, huh? The former vegetarian in me grimaces, but the rest of me chuckled ;)

12 comments:

  1. Bourdian is definitely over the top! But that's why we love him. :) I'm looking forward to your review on this.

    My teaser is significantly less hilarious and can be found here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not playing today, but wanted to stop by and enjoy some teasers. I'm not sure this would be for me, just the words "organ meat" makes me cringe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a little unkind to vegetarians but I couldn't help smiling. Funny teaser!

    Mine's here

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harsh words! Good teaser though. I'm glad you are enjoying the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find that funny, honest! I've heard so many complaints against meat-lovers that this feels like a refreshing change. LOL. This is like the cat vs dog fight - something that will never die down. Good teaser!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know his comments are a little outrageous but after spending two years as a vegan, I kind of agree.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bourdain's outrageousness is part of his appeal. This book was great as an audio - he reads it himself. Love the teaser!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, he's a meanie! But he writes pretty well, surprisingly. I've seen his TV show so I'm curious as to how you'll like his book.

    Here's my Teaser Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not my type of book, but heh to each thier own. I hope that you enjoy your book. Here's My Teaser

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did love this nook but it completely put me off restaurant eating for quite a while. Luckily that was before I lived in NYC and I ate at his restaurant several times. Good steak frites!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL
    Hysterical clip!

    I see your reading Pioneer Woman and Agatha Christie :) Me too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is so funny! I used to be a vegetarian too, for several years, but then one day I started craving a hamburger sooo badly that I gave in and ate one. Now I am once again a proud carnivore. ;-)

    ReplyDelete